How to Avoid Nipple Chafing: Tips for Athletes and Active People
If you’re a runner, cyclist, or engage in other physical activities, you may be familiar with the discomfort of nipple chafing. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about how to prevent and treat nipple chafing so you can stay comfortable and pain-free during your workouts and everyday life.
Why are My Nipples Sore After Working Out?
Athletic or everyday activities such as long distance running, cycling, surfing, walking, and gardening can cause sore nipples. This sore feeling is a symptom of nipple chafing.
What Causes Nipple Chafing?
Nipple chafing occurs when your nipples rub against the fabric of your shirt while you run, walk, or engage in physical activity. Sweat exacerbates friction against your clothes and can cause irritation, inflammation, and soreness on and around your nipples. Clothing made from non-synthetic materials such as cotton makes it harder for the moisture in your sweat to evaporate.
What Protects Sore Nipples from Friction?
You can protect sore, chafed, or sensitive nipples with lubricant before you run, surf, or engage in athletic activity or during if you notice symptoms flaring. If you don’t have a bottle of lubricant and the situation permits, remove your shirt to stop further friction and discomfort. If you cannot find a lubricant that works for you, a pair of nipple covers or nipple guards can also be worn under your shirt to keep them protected from sweat and rough fabrics.
How to Treat Chafed Nipples?
There are a few things you can do to treat chafed nipples:
- Wash Them: Once you’ve finished your exercise, wash your nipples with gentle or antibacterial soap and water. Opt for chemical or fragrance-free products to prevent further irritation.
- Apply a Cream or Ointment: After washing your nipples, gently pat them dry. Once all moisture is removed, apply a hydrocortisone cream or ointment to soothe, protect and hydrate the skin.
- Take a Break from Your Workout Routine: Give your nipples time to heal by forgoing your fitness regimen for a while. On your break, continue to wash and apply your preferred cream or ointment.
- See Your Doctor: If the steps above don’t provide relief or if the problem persists, we recommend seeing your doctor.
How to Prevent Nipple Chafing?
Here are some ways to prevent nipple chafing year-round:
- Wear Moisture-Wicking Clothing: Wearing the proper clothing is one of the best ways to prevent nipple chafing. Moisture-wicking shirts made from synthetic fabric are your best bet for keeping comfortable and dry while working out.
- Use Lubricant: If your skin has the tendency to chafe, use lubricant before your run. We also suggest taking it along with you to reapply if needed!
- Stay Dry: Change your clothes as soon as you can if you get caught in rain or are sweating a lot. Clingy, wet fabric increases the chances of chafing.
- Stay Hydrated: Staying hydrated allows you to sweat freely, lessening the chances of it hardening into salt crystals. These crystals can lead to chafing.
How to Avoid Nipples Showing Through Shirts
Wearing an undershirt is one way to stop your nipples from showing through your shirt, but this can be uncomfortable in hot weather. We recommend using a pair of nipple covers to protect your nipples from friction and sweat. They have a smooth,
Nipple chafing can be a painful experience, but you can treat the issue to obtain relief. Washing, hydrocortisone cream, reusable pasties, and moisture-wicking clothing are all ways to treat and prevent nipple chafing, making it easier to exercise and take on whatever comes your way.
Here’s to pain-free days, increased confidence, and looking and feeling great in your own skin. We’re rooting for you!
Protect your nipples and feel confident during exercise with our Adhesive Nipple Covers. Available in a range of sizes and skin tones, they provide comfortable protection against chafing and show-through. Shop now and start enjoying your workouts without the worry of nipple chafing!